Friday, January 30, 2009

Abstraction

When I was young I used to spend hours coloring in a specific style of coloring book. The pages were filled with large angular shapes which were then split off into lots and lots of smaller angular shapes. So ultimately, you were left to create your own image, using color to separate the shapes. I find myself thinking a lot about these coloring books, lately. And wondering if I could design a coloring book for kids in which the lines or picture did not dictate the color. How can I design a coloring book which encourages creativity, thinking outside the box and making it your own.


Pigma pen, Prismacolor markers and digital color.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read an article a while back that said something like "People only become really creative when subjected to limits." It made a lot of sense to me. I think that's why those Geometrics coloring books are so fun. They present to you specific limitations to work with that don't stifle your creativity, but actually provoke it.

Kate said...

Ah-ha. Limit a person and they will think outside the box. Give them a blank page and they run in fear. I see and hear that a lot, well, the running away part.