Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Laura Ellen Hopper

Laura Ellen Hopper a long time KPIG dj and program director passed away Monday May 28, 2007 after a short battle with cancer. She was 57 years old. Her name may be unknown to some but to others who tuned into the nonconformist 107 oink 5 weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. she was well known and liked. I didn't know much about her personal life but I loved her show and listened when I could. She introduced me to musicians such as James McMurtry, John Prine and John Hiatt. I had the pleasure of meeting Laura Ellen in the KPIG studio in Watsonville, CA last summer when we were doing a story about the radio station making cuts and switching to overnight automatic programming. She was welcoming and warm and kind despite the negative changes that were going on at the station she helped found in 1988.
I was very stunned and sad to hear she passed away. My heart goes out to her horse, two dogs, husband and the extended family of listeners with whom she passionately shared music.


No comments: