Saturday, September 22, 2007

Everyday Suprises

Every morning (I miss one here and there) I climb up to my loft and push out a drawing. I may spend one minute or two hours with the ink and colored pencils - it just depends on the variables I am faced with on that morning. Though the mood, amount of detail and the subject matter change - the surprise and excitement I feel when I see the completed drawing rarely waivers. The joy comes not from - hey, that's a great drawing, but from the wow of where did that come from? How did nothingness turn into those lines and those shapes? In the beginning I face the empty page with no conscious thought, no stress about how it should look, no concern about judgment from myself or others. In the end I am rewarded with a little expression of myself I didn't know existed. I find this space a special place to be whether drawing, painting, photographing, writing, sculpting - whatever art form you choose. Do you feel it too?






3 comments:

Gabriel Campanario said...

I completely enjoy being in that space where you are creating something and the concept of time is lost. It's a great feeling. It seems that's how you felt doing this drawing and it shows. Nicely done! (thanks for the link to my blog by the way, I'm glad I found yours.)

Tokyo Biker Mommy said...

Love it, can i buy? :)

Kate said...

Sara - That is a first! Thanks for the compliment.