Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Under Water

Let's face it. Some days are better than others in all areas of life. Today happened to be a particularly challenging day for me in terms of making a 'wow' photo.
My assignments were to photograph a woman who is in the Flying Ninety-nines (an all women pilot's organization) as a preview to an upcoming event they are hosting, find some color in a dull white high school cafeteria in which an author was speaking to students and photograph a child who was chosen as an Explorer for the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The shots of the author were usable but low on the interest scale, the pilot photos were ok - nice clouds, cool little Cessna, but I just didn't feel much excitement around it.
As I was driving to the school where I would photograph the young Explorer I hoped we could find an aquarium or something that would help tell the story. I thought it would be cute/funny to somehow have him inside the tank. Well, that didn't happen. There wasn't an aquarium in the classroom and the science teacher was in a hurry to get to the office so she suggested we try the "ocean life mural" on the side of the school. Perfect! And then I made my favorite shot of the day.

1 comment:

aquaken said...

Nicely done! (Speaking as an amateur photographer and as the PR guy who connected your reporter with the Explorer.)